Thursday, July 16, 2015

The KenJoLairs--Little White Lies (1962)


     Those of you who will be following along with me will soon pick up on a few things about this blog. First of all, for me to be inspired to write, I need some sort of structure.

      I have a radio show heard on six stations across the country called "The Rock and Roll Omnibus" which covers a wide range of music from a broad time frame. In preparation for the show I listen to a LOT of music, and being the kind of person that I am, began listening to music by the label instead of the artists. This led me to A&M Records. As I began with the first song and continued through the years, it became apparent to me that we had a lot of material and loads of stories to tell, which led to me to start up a new blog.

      I will promise that we will not go song by song....there is only enough Claudine Longet and Chris Montez one man can handle.

      We will be going through that catalog picking out interesting tidbits along the way, and hope you enjoy the ride.
-----------------------------------------------

      Any of us who purport to be fans of music (any genre) can remember artists we grew up with. Local bands and/or singers that we thought had enough to make it all the way, only to fall by the wayside with only your memories and people like me picking through the best (or sometimes not so great)  to put on some blog for you to click on in the middle of the night when your up too late because of a case of insomnia.

      The KenJoLairs were one such group. I have little information to help with these guys. I know the three guys in the group were named Ken, Joe, and Larry (If you couldn't tell by the name of the group, the label of the 45 can help you out there). The Larry in question is Larry New, but his website just tells us that he was a part of the group, but nothing else that is of help.

      "Little White Lies" was written back in 1930 by Walter Donaldson. Those of a certain age might remember some of his songs; "My Mammy" (a huge hit for Al Jolson), "Makin' Whoopee" and "Yes Sir, That's My Baby". The song has been recorded many times and was a big hit for Dick Haymes and Dinah Shore in 1948, and again by Betty Johnson in 1957.

     The version by Ken, Joe and Larry in a pop ballad/folk style was actually quite easy on the ears. It also did well on the West Coast, especially in LA and San Francisco, but couldn't make much of a dent elsewhere. They were dropped from the label after a second single and not heard from again, at least from what I can tell.

     Larry New...if you read this, or anyone else who can tell me more about the group, please send me a note at rockandrollomnibus@gmail.com and we'll get the story out. In the meantime...enjoy.


4 comments:

  1. I still have a copy of this record, and it's a great rendition of a song that has endured since written by Walter Donaldson in 1930.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have a copy of this record, and it's a great rendition of a song that has endured since written by Walter Donaldson in 1930.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad is Ken Mowery from this band!!😀 The Sugerbeats was the next name they went by. With a song called "Begin give in" which my mom wrote! but Herb Alpert never released the record.
    Joe Dahlin went on to be in The Innocents, as a background background singer. For more info go to YouTube with a bio from Al Chandelia. I've been trying to find the old 45's to surprise my dad..but with no success. Then came upon your blog! In 1987, my Dad and friends from their car club The Townsman got together and named their band DejaVu. They played at local places for friends and family:) All the guys are still around today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the poor editing! :/Should have rechecked! But was too excited when I found your blog:) The Premiers was the first name,then Kenjolairs, then The Sugarbeats*

    ReplyDelete